Some church greeters want ideas to say different things other than
I’ve written some of these questions for church greeters here.
The goal of these questions
Most of these are helpful in the small talk during the passing of the peace, or perhaps after the service is over.
Not all of these are appropriate at all times, but could spark additional ideas.
These are not meant to be nosy questions. I know that I’d feel a little uncomfortable with having to answer all these questions from a stranger, but one or two could get a conversation going.
Consider them as icebreakers to facilitate or open the doors to a potentially deeper conversation and connection.
After all the goal is to start the process of getting to know a church visitor who hangs around after the service.
Not every visitor to your church wants to engage in conversation, so it’s appropriate for church greeters to discern the level of interest in a conversation. You’ll want to avoid any sense of:
- invading personal space
- asking too many personal questions
- being too nosy.
- not reading body language to see “enough already” or “leave me alone.”
Additional Questions Church Greeters might find helpful
- What keeps you busy during the week?
- How did you find our church?
- What do you do in your day job?
- Which school do you attend? What’s your major?
- What do you sense God has in mind for you?
- What is your name?
- Where do you work?
- What kind of work do you do?
- Do you have any questions about the class or the church?
- Do you know how to get to the church’s auditorium?
- Do you know anyone that attends the church?
- Are you looking for a church home?
- Where do you live?
- Will you sit with me (during the service or activity)?
- Have you met “name of a person” that is standing near you? Introduce the guest to the person.
- Look at the person’s clothes and decide if there is something about the color, pins, etc. that you can ask a question or make a comment.
Use the comment field below to add your answer
What question do you like to use to begin a conversation with a church visitor?