Have you ever been asked a question that has altered the direction of your life?
I remember a few in my personal life.
These questions radically shaped the course of my life and ministry.
- Asked by my pastor: What are you doing about it?
- Asked by my friend: Have you thought about becoming a preacher?
- Asked by a really close friend: Do you ever feel like you are living in the wrong place?
In each case, the direction of my life was altered by the use of a well timed question.
Are there great questions to use in evangelism? I give a list below.
The power of questions in conversational evangelism.
I teach on conversational skills in evangelism.
While I believe it’s appropriate and a good practice to know a gospel presentation by heart, I think that asking good questions unlocks further avenues of conversations that leads to life change.
There is a time for questions.
There is a time for giving answers and the reason for the hope within us.
When questions are raised in the right time, the search for answers can move a person forward in their journey to faith in giant leaps.
Questions help people come up with their own solutions for their own unique circumstances. If you learn to use questions, you can help people discover their spiritual thirst and grow towards Christ.
Powerful questions help others to:
- Take time to think about their sin, their need for God, the abscence of God in their life
- Gain information about Jesus, who Jesus is, what Jesus has done
- Promote personal discovery of Jesus
- Generate options about how to respond to God’s work in Jesus
- Uncover obstacles or questions that remain unanswered
- Determine next steps in the journey to faith towards Jesus.
Many of us who do personal evangelism have found useful questions or statements to help continue or start a conversation that potentially leads to a conversation about the gospel.
For example, sometimes I have asked long distance truckers:
“What to you do to take care of your soul as you travel around the country?”
The quality and level of their response can encourage further conversation or quickly reveal that there is no interest in talking along those lines.
Collection of Evangelistic Conversation Starters
- 44 Spiritual Conversation Starter Questions
- Using Questions In Spiritual Conversations
- What is the Question Behind the Question?
- 20 Evangelism Questions To Start a conversation
- 14 Helpful Questions for the Evangelist
- 7 Conversational Easter Questions
- Evangelistic Questions for Evangelism
- 5 Great Spiritual Conversation Questions
- What is the best question to ask someone to start a conversation about evangelism?
Do you need help in Personal Evangelism?
Start here with this MP3 Download on Evangelism Training from the store ($10) to help you see where you need to grow.
It’s a 80 minute audio file that takes just a few minutes to download, but it may help you answer the question:
What can you do in the next 90 days to grow in your evangelism skills?