Church Greeter Training
Are you involved in training church greeters? Are you the head of the Greeter Ministry? Then this collection of articles will help you with church greeter training. Please share and forward to your team. It's all free.
I've written a book for leaders of church greeter ministry. Click to read more (at Amazon).
Church Greeters 101 in Paperback
It was our third visit to a local church in the last 102 weeks.
We love visiting that church when we are in that city. In fact, whenever we go, we try to invite a friend to that church.
Even through we have not ever experienced followup from filling out their visitor contact card, we haven’t let that stop us from visiting.
But this visit produced a moment of social awkwardness with an overly enthusiastic greeter.
As we approached the front door, the church greeter raised her hands in joy (she was REALLY happy to be serving).
She then grabbed my wife’s head and planted a big ol’ kiss on the cheek.
This was then followed up with a somewhat loud declaration: “It’s so great to be with God’s people today.”
That was wierd, and completely unexpected. It won’t drive us away, but that greeter was a little over the top.
Lessons learned for your Church Greeter ministry
1. Not everyone loves a hug or a kiss.
We attend many different churches in various cultures because I am in an international ministry. In several hispanic churches that I have visited, an air kiss on the cheek happens only after parties have been introduced to each other. It is an awkard moment when that happens before you are introduced.
In many North American churches, the air kiss between strangers doesn’t happen when people first meet.
But besides local customs, the invasion of personal space that happens can be an unintentional barrier that your greeter creates with your guest.
Other things in your service will need to overcome that awkwardness, or that may be the only thing that visitor remembers.
Here is a similar tweet:
Nothing quite ruins my Sunday church experience like the 65 year old greeter who tries to mouth kiss me every time I go.
2. Train your greeters to set aside their preferences.
If your greeter volunteers object with “I’m a hugger” or “I’m a kisser,” have them set aside their personal preferences for the comfort of your guests.
My wife once hugged a pre-teen boy when greeting. As soon as she embraced him, she felt him tense up. She learned from that lesson that not every one wants a hug, a kiss, or even a handshake.
Greeters don’t need to accidentally violate that person’s sense of personal space because of who they themselves are.
Set aside your personal preferences for a more normal greeting that is custom to where your church is.
Train Your Church Greeters
You can get the 2 DVD Combo Set of Greeter Training DVDs
Free Shipping to the USA.
Download version available.
I’ve updated the free church greeter training videos for 2014.
Some of the videos I first recorded in 2009 now look awful by today’s standards. Technology has improved.
I’ve added new ones as well.
By signing up specifically for this list, I’ll send you 10 videos for training church greeters. They are free and will come to you by email every 3 days for the next 30 days.
You may have seen some church greeter videos on this site, but I’ve added a few that are found only in this sequence and no where else.
Watch This Video To Find Out How to Get Video Training for Church Greeters
Church Greeter Training Tips for Free
Yes, you can HAVE access all these church greeter training videos for free as they are rolled out.
I’ve been studying and writing about church greeter training during the past 20 years and want to share this information with you, and I’m giving it all away for free.
I want to help you church greeter ministry get launched, get organized and get started. . . .
I ask you to sign up for them by email so that you will not be overwhelmed by all 10 at one time.
I assure you I do not rent, sell, or share this email list with no-one.
Sample Church Greeter Tips
- What six words do you not want a church greeter to say to a first time church visitor?
- How do you fix the three most common complaints about church greeter ministry?
- What are some suggested guidelines for church greeters?
- What is a church greeter and what do church greeters do?
- What are the duties of a church greeter? What needs to go into a church greeter training meeting?
Training for Church Greeters
How do you develop and train a team of greeters at church?
Do you have greeters in the church who don’t really know what to do?
Were they a warm recruit to fill a spot?
Or someone with the gifts to step in and do the job?
What do you use for church greeter training?
What Church Greeter tips can you share with your new recruits?
All of these questions will be addressed on the inside, as you contribute your thoughts and hear these church greeter training videos.
Most of these church greeter training videos are under 5 minutes each. Get in soon!
Here are some of the top articles on church greeters at this website. Please share, tweet, post, and use this in your church greeter ministry.
- 3 Barriers to Recruiting Church Greeters
- Are church greeters an appropriate ministry for the church?
- Church Greeters can offer to pray with your guests
- Church Greeters have more impact than they think
- 20 Crazy Church Greeter Comments
- 6 Goals of a Church Greeter
Church Greeter Small Talk Helps
- For Greeters: What to say to A Church Visitor
- Conversational Questions for Church Greeters
- Different Greetings to Welcome Church Visitors
Church Greeter Training Helps
- When Church Greeters Object: I don’t know who the visitors are
- Video: What does a church greeter do?
- Video Discussion Starter for Church Greeters
- Video: Church Greeter Training Discussion Starter
- 10 Things Every First Time Church Greeter Should Know
Prayers for Church Greeters
- Church Greeter Prayer for Positive Attitude
- A Church Greeter Prayer for Holiness
- A Prayer for Church Greeters #1
Add Your Comments to these to help other Greeters
- Your Turn: Help a Shy Church Greeter
- Your Turn: What to say to returning church members
- Your Turn: What to say to latecomers to church
- Your Turn: How to Identify Church Visitors in a Large Church
Church Greeter Resources
Book: Church Greeters 101 Book. If you purchase the Church Greeters 101 and email me a receipt, I’ll give you a free hour long consultation for your greeter ministry. That’s a $97 value as a free bonus.
How can you prepare your church greeters for an unexpected visitor with a therapeautic dog?
Rev. Susan and I talk about an experience of the unexpected that occurred during a church visit.
She took a therapeutic dog to church and experienced different kinds of reactions to the presence of a dog.
- From the pastor
- From a church elder
- From members of the church.
Watch this church greeter video case study and then add your comments to the field below.
Listen particularly to Susan’s point around the 4 minute mark about small talk for Church Greeters
How can you prepare your church greeters for a situation like this?
In the comments below, how can you prepare your church greeters for surprise situations?
Share with us your thoughts.