Some time ago, I was asked in an email
What are key training ideas in personal evangelism, or key steps to keeping the evangelistic temperature high in a congregation?
These below focus on personal evangelism, not church growth.
Evangelism values for pastors:
- Share personal examples of conversations that you’ve had with non-church goers.
- Share personal examples of good conversations that help a person make another step towards Jesus.
- Share personal examples of conversations that failed and what you would have done differently.
- To give personal examples, you have to be ‘out there’ having conversations. Be intentional in getting out of the office.
- Model for people how to talk about your faith as a current experience, not ancient history.
- Find those who are passionate about evangelism and train them further.
Evangelism values for all:
- A deep and vibrant relationship with Christ.
- A deep prayer life .
- Out of the overflow of grace, there is a passion to share.
- Learn how to share recent stories of God’s activity in your life.
- Learn at least one script to explain the simple gospel when it’s time. See our Gospel Script Series
- Learn how to listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit to “Go stand next to that chariot” (from Phillip and the Ethiopian Eunuch)
- Launch an evangelism training group where you don’t study a book, but report your spiritual conversations.
- Evangelism Training in the Local Church
- 3 Evangelism Tips for Pastors
- 4 More Evangelism Tips for Pastors
- 5 Evangelism Tips for Pastors
Let me suggest this:
Get the download copy of my teaching “Simple Steps to Personal Evangelism” ($10). With your one copy, you’ll have the right to share this valuable teaching with your entire team.
In this 70 minute MP3 AUDIO recording on personal evangelism you will learn:
- How church invitations are part of evangelism
- How to discover and share your own journey to faith
- What you can say about the gospel message.
- How to personally lead someone to faith in Christ.
It’s a 70 minute audio file that takes just a few minutes to download, but it may help you answer the question:
What can you do in the next 90 days to grow in your evangelism skills?
You need to hold your leaders accountable to personal evangelism when you are planting a church, and this is one way to help provide some practical training for them.Related posts: