Becoming a Christian is not an “on/off” proposition. Nearly every person I have spoken with about their becoming a Christian shows that it is a process.
A restlessness begins in the human heart (which I call spiritual thirst).
That begins a process of faith awakening that may take a few days, or it may take a few years.
I choose to view evangelism through this lens: the lens of a journey or a process. I think I have good ground for that by reading Mark 4.
26 He also said, “This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. 27 Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how.28 All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head.29 As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come.” (Mark 4:26-27)
Most people don’t wake up one morning and decide to become a Christian without prior reflection, consideration, or thinking.
A conversion is the culmination of a journey.
Evangelism as a Process is a Core Point
By looking at evangelism as a process, we can see lots of evangelistic activity that happens before the moment the actual good news is shared.
We see a seed planting conversation, a sermon that impacts a life, and maybe a dream that contains a hint of God’s guidance.
When we view evangelism is a process, we no longer need to rush to the line of faith, but stay focused in the moment at hand.
15 Articles on Evangelism as a Process
- How the Holy Spirit Directs Evangelism
- Links in the Chain Video (Mister, I need God!)
- Links in the Chain of Conversion (how a slave girl led to a miracle)
- The Journey is Discernable
- Stages of the Journey to faith
- A person needs time
- 5 Phases of the spiritual journey
- Scatter the seed and wait
- Is it Ever too Soon to share the Gospel?
- Some come in radical discovery, others need a time of searching
- Your Own Spiritual Journey to Faith
- Evangelism is a Process
- Some journey’s are pretty Messy.
- The Apostle Paul’s Journey to Faith
- The Mystery of Christian Conversion
Free Download Tools for your own journey
As evangelists, we can help people out in their journey to faith, no matter how long we might be in their life.
I yearn for people to come to faith quickly. There is urgency that drives me to pray, rather than drives me to be obnoxious.
Where can you learn more?
1. Sign up for our newsletter. Get new content nearly every week to stay focused on leading your friends to Christ.
2. Get your copy of Effective Evangelism Conversations, which is some of my core teaching on personal evangelism.