You want to do a door to door evangelism campaign for your church?
Even though many of your members (or perhaps you) have a fear of doing evangelism this way?
Fears such as
- Not knowing what to say
- Feeling out of place
- Invading someone’s privacy
Door to Door Evangelism Takes Some Planning
If you want to lead people in a door to door campaign, it’ll take some planning on your part and some training to help allay the natural hesitancy and fear that people will feel.
Many churches choose to practice different forms of door to door campaign:
- Visit church visitors in their homes.
- Home visitation on Tuesday nights.
- Praying with people in the community.
- Every home visitation.
What is the desired outcome of your Door to Door campaign?
Besides focusing on personal evangelism and gospel sharing in your door to door planning, there are plenty of ways that a door to door evangelism campaign can lay the groundwork to help your church grow.
- Learn who is currently spiritually thirsty.
- Find practical ways to meet some of the community’s physical needs.
- Raise awareness about a particular event or a particular sermon series.
- Present the gospel in an easily shared presentation and pray with people.
- Survey your community to find out about it’s needs so that you can plan some programming.
As you prepare your training, consider the desired outcomes and how it can help your church to grow.
This will help you shape your training.
How to Prepare your Members for Door to door witnessing
Door to door techniques can be used well to
- Invite people to a special church event
- Find out the spiritual needs of the community
- Offer to pray with people who mention a spiritual need
- Engage in evangelistic conversations when people are open to such conversations.
I think most resistance to a door to door witnessing campaign comes because it is a model of evangelism that felt like a sales pitch.
Perhaps you or your church members have attended a seminar and learn the newest script for evangelism. The idea is that you would learn a series of conversational steps that would help people
- See their need for Jesus.
- Make a decision to follow Christ .
- Repeat a prayer after me.
- Sign here for follow up.
- All in less than 30 minutes of talking with a person at their front door.
The script was “the powerful new tool,” and it was meant to help you “share your faith” and confidently prepare you to “lead people to Christ.”
If you were truly honest with yourself, in the practice of your life did it ever work?
If a person is spiritually ready like the Ethiopian eunuch was in Acts 8, this can be done well – the person is spiritually thirsty and willing to learn more.
But if a person answering the door
- has little interest, or
- wants to argue about theology,
Then there is no spiritual thirst. To try and stick to the script causes hostility, anger, and perhaps a deafness.
Scripts are helpful when the spiritual thirst is present, and quite often useless when it’s not.
While there are many gospel presentations (I call them gospel scripts) that one could memorize for door to door evangelism campaigns, I teach an evangelism method can help you at each door you visit during your evangelism campaign.
- Watch for the working of the Holy Spirit
- Listen for spiritual thirst
- Discern your place in their journey
- Suggest possible next steps towards Jesus.
Based on the encounter between Phillip and the Ethiopian Eunuch, I have applied these four principles with great effectiveness in helping people discover Jesus.
You can learn these same principles and leave the formulas behind.
Effective door to door mission
I think the key to door to door approaches is to listen for a person’s level of spiritual thirst.
If it is there, keep going in conversation about the person’s spiritual thirst. You get to help them move closer in their journey to Christ.
If there is none, offer to pray about a need and then move on. Door to door campaigns are not the place to waste time with the unwilling.
Effective Evangelism Conversations
- How timing makes evangelistic conversation natural
- The key clue to having natural faith sharing conversation
- How to keep the pressure off a conversation, yet still point people towards Jesus
- What role you play in helping a person take the next step towards Christ.
This recorded seminar is not so much about what to say in a faith sharing conversation. It’s not a presentation you must learn to present while standing at someone’s door.
Rather, it will help you discover the spiritual needs in your community through applying the teaching in it. You can use this teaching to help you discover who is ready to hear the gospel and who is not.
What is in this Door to Door Training?
- 8 Segments, each about 15-20 minutes
- Practicum / Discussion questions after each segment.
- Each segment is a recording of a live seminar I gave, preceded with a short introduction and finished with study questions.
- It is useful not only for door to door training, but in any type of evangelism conversation.
Risk Free 90 days and No Hassle Refunds
If you don’t like your Effective Conversations training, simply contact me for a full refund within 90 days of purchase.
You can even keep the DVDs.
Simply check it out.
If you don’t like it, ask me for a refund within the 90 day window and you’ll get your money back within 24 hours usually (As I am the only one in customer service).