One might wonder, why is this set of bible verses is on my website?
I teach on personal evangelism and various forms of church evangelism, so what does a list of promises on God’s guidance contribute to that discussion?
How knowing verses on God’s guidance can be useful in Personal Evangelism
If you are engaged in regular conversation with unchurched friends, you will encounter conversations about direction and purpose in life.
You will encounter conversations about life choices, decision making, and be asked your thoughts on “What should I do?”
You’ll encounter some non-believers asking “What is God’s will in this situation?” Such questions are an indication of their spiritual thirst.
When your friends are making a major decision and talking with you about, you can point to these Bible promises and discuss how you have personally experienced them to be true. Your current life stories about these verses offer a real life example of your faith in the living God and how you follow Jesus in your daily life.
As you share your life examples of God’s activity in your life, incorporate a verse or two about God’s guidance to show your decision making, how you trusted God, the steps of obedience that you took, and even the outcome of that obedience.
A personal example of using these Bible verses on God’s guidance.
A friend and I were waiting outside a meeting that our kids were involved in. Instead of burying ourselves into our telephones to pass the time, we talked with each other.
Without prompting or me steering the conversation, my friend asked me “How did you become a teacher and preacher?”
Thankfully, I was prepared to tell some of my faith story with him because I’ve reflected often on the various journeys, phases, and stages of my life.
As I shared my personal testimony with him, I highlighted:
- Some of the crucial decision crossroads.
- How I prayed about decisions.
- How I could trust God to lead me in the right direction.
- How some of these promises built my confidence in God’s guidance.
My story from my life demonstrated my confidence in the promises of God and how I choose to live in the confidence of trusting God’s guidance rather than figuring it out all on my own.
26 Bible Verses, Promises of God’s Guidance
- Psalm 25:4-5: Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.
- James 1:5-6: If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.
- Psalm 5:8: Lead me, Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies— make your way straight before me.
- Psalm 31:3: Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.
- Psalm 61:1-2: Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
- Psalm 143:8: Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.
- Psalm 16:7-8: I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
- John 10:3-4: The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.
- Proverbs 3:5-6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
- Psalm 32:8-9: I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.
- Romans 12:1-2: Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Acts 13:2: While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
- Psalm 119:105: Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
- Psalm 19:8: The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.
- Acts 17:11: Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
- Psalm 25:9: He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way.
- Proverbs 2:6-9: For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds success in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones. Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path.
- Philippians 2:13: for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
- Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- Matthew 7:7-11: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
- Isaiah 30:21: Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”
- Proverbs 11:14: For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers.
- Psalm 37:23: The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him;
- 1 Chronicles 10:13-14: Saul died because he was unfaithful to the Lord; he did not keep the word of the Lord and even consulted a medium for guidance, and did not inquire of the Lord. So the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.
- Proverbs 16:9: In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.
- Hebrews 11:8: By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.
All verses are from the NIV Bible.