Some time ago, I was asked in an email
What are key training ideas in personal evangelism, or key steps to keeping the evangelistic temperature high in a congregation?
These below focus on personal evangelism, not church growth.
Evangelism values for pastors:
- Share personal examples of conversations that you’ve had with non-church goers.
- Share personal examples of good conversations that help a person make another step towards Jesus.
- Share personal examples of conversations that failed and what you would have done differently.
- To give personal examples, you have to be ‘out there’ having conversations. Be intentional in getting out of the office.
- Model for people how to talk about your faith as a current experience, not ancient history.
- Find those who are passionate about evangelism and train them further.
Evangelism values for all:
- A deep and vibrant relationship with Christ.
- A deep prayer life .
- Out of the overflow of grace, there is a passion to share.
- Learn how to share recent stories of God’s activity in your life.
- Learn at least one script to explain the simple gospel when it’s time. See our Gospel Script Series
- Learn how to listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit to “Go stand next to that chariot” (from Phillip and the Ethiopian Eunuch)
- Launch an evangelism training group where you don’t study a book, but report your spiritual conversations.
- Evangelism Training in the Local Church
- 3 Evangelism Tips for Pastors
- 4 More Evangelism Tips for Pastors
- 5 Evangelism Tips for Pastors
Let me suggest this:
If you want to prioritize evangelism among the leaders of your church plant, you’ll need to give them some simple steps of where they can grow.
Get the download copy of my teaching “Simple Steps to Personal Evangelism” ($10). With your one copy, you’ll have the right to share this valuable teaching with your entire team.
In this 70 minute MP3 AUDIO recording on personal evangelism you will learn:
- How church invitations are part of evangelism
- How to discover and share your own journey to faith
- What you can say about the gospel message.
- How to personally lead someone to faith in Christ.
It’s a 70 minute audio file that takes just a few minutes to download, but it may help you answer the question:
What can you do in the next 90 days to grow in your evangelism skills?
You need to hold your leaders accountable to personal evangelism when you are planting a church, and this is one way to help provide some practical training for them.
Leave a Reply