Before we came to know Christ, we were dead in our sinful state.
Before we started following Jesus, we were spiritually dead and spiritually blind.
But thanks to salvation through faith in Jesus, we are alive in Christ and have become followers of Christ.
After we have walked with Christ for a long time, perhaps we have forgotten how our spiritual eyes could not see in the spiritual dark.
We forgot how impossible it was then to see
- the value of God’s truth,
- the preciousness of Jesus,
- the price of our salvation,
- the outrageous love of God for us.
Jesus is the Pearl of Great Price
Perhaps we can not recall the process of evangelism that removed our spiritual blinders enough to take the leap of faith and begin to follow Jesus.
How has Jesus changed your life?
- Gratitude for physical healing.
- Tremendous experience of God’s love.
- The personal joy you get from regular spending time in prayer or worship.
- Obedience. Jesus said so, so I need to share my faith.
- Finding a purpose for your life in God’s plan.
- Personal forgiveness for a troubled past.
- Healing of your personal brokenness.
- Avoiding hell.
In your journey to faith, your spiritual blindness was removed by the Holy Spirit, allowing God to speak into your life.
As people around you spoke into your life, as strangers spoke the right word to your heart, as the influence of your church community and messages brought clarity, your spiritual blindness was removed.
In today’s prayer, thank God for His work in your life to bring you to that place of seeing, understanding, and believing.
Ask God to excite your heart with memories of your conversion process (or awakening process) that first drew you to follow Jesus.
My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king;
my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer. (Psalm 45:1)
I thank You, God, for the influences in my life that helped me become aware of my own need for You.
I thank You that, by Your Holy Spirit, You removed the spiritual blindness that existed in my heart.
I thank You that You made Your offer of grace so irresistible, that I had to respond.
You did not wait for me to draw near to You
But You clothed Yourself with frail humanity
You did not wait for me to cry out to You
But You let me hear Your voice calling me
And I’m Forever Grateful to You
I’m Forever Grateful for The Cross
I’m Forever Grateful to You
That You came to seek and save the lost
Juanita Buyan, Forever Grateful
- Is there a hymn fragment or a worship song that has deeply moved you in your walk with Christ? Write it out. Try to write out why that touches your soul.
- Make a list of people of influence who spoke into your life during the process of removing spiritual blindness.
- Thank God for their personal influence in your life, one by one, by name
Image Credit: Elbragon