Warning: strpos(): Empty needle in /home/churchgr/public_html/www.evangelismcoach.org/wp-includes/media.php on line 1147
How does one develop an evangelism team or an effective evangelism group in the local church?
In the denominational circles I run in (Presbyterian Church USA), this has been relegated to
- the Evangelism Committee, or
- the Witness and Service Committe, or
- New Member Committee, or the
- “Make up another name just to have a name that is not Evangelism” committee.
These evangelism committees focus usually on
- providing hospitality to church visitors,
- follow-up on those who come to church,
- marketing the church.
Important work, but not evangelism as I define it.
Some evangelism committees just meet and talk about what should be done without ever doing anything.
Quit forming committees.
Form an evangelism team that is actively doing personal evangelism.
Set up an evangelistic team with people who will hold each other accountable to sharing their faith.
How do I get on the church evangelism team?
The primary qualification is a “heart for the lost.”
A person who weeps in prayer (or labors in prayer for those who aren’t emotional) over those who have not yet found a relationship with Jesus Christ.
This is a person who doesn’t have time to serve on an evangelism committee, but wants to be out in the world, engaging the world.
Recruit like minded people and you’ve got a team.
Skip perfection. All members can sow seed now.
You don’t have to be equipped first. Just go and do it. Learn as you try.
What does the evangelism team do?
- Meet Regularly: A team could meet regularly to study one aspect of evangelism, encourage one another.
- Prayer for Personal evangelism — each team member is involved in praying for the lost, praying for the conversations that will happen, and praying for the other team members.
- Personal Evangelism — each team member is actively listening to the Holy Spirit for guidance as to who to talk with and how.
- Debrief – Report on conversations, progress of friends, and sharpen each other to improve.
This coaching group can keep evangelism temperature high and continually motivate one another to keep at the work of the gospel.
If you haven’t already heard this MP3 download, listen to this evangelism prayer strategy from our podcast feed. Phil Taylor shares a simple 3 fold prayer structure that you can use for your devotional time.
Let me ask you this?
Do you know enough people in your church to start an evangelism team?
In this 60 minute MP3 AUDIO recording on personal evangelism you will learn:
- How church invitations are part of evangelism
- How to discover and share your own journey to faith
- What you can say about the gospel message.
- How to personally lead someone to faith in Christ.
Each of these four sections will be developed, with suggested take away growth step:
“What can I do in the next 90 days to move to the next stage.”
Now in the store as a digital download – Click MP3 Download on Evangelism Training