Your passion to be involved in personal evangelism will fade over time.
You attend an evangelism conference. Your passion for personal evangelism is high.
But after a few weeks, that passion subsides.
How can you keep the evangelism passion high without chasing conferences all the time?
Your Passion for Evangelism Will Inspire Others
I’m not the first to point this out, but I’ve heard the expression:
“A rising tide lifts all boats.”
Perhaps you’ve heard it too. Perhaps it’s a cliche that is beyond trendy.
When one person is excited about personal evangelism and doing it, sharing their experiences and conversations, other people around them begin to see how doable personal evangelism is. “I can do this too.”
When you are causing the evangelistic tide to rise, others will rise up and do evangelism with you.
You keep your evangelistic passion high, others will increase as well.
My Passion for Evangelism Inspired Others
When I preached every Sunday, I always had a new evangelism story:
- a book I was reading
- a faith-sharing conversation around spiritual thirst
- a prayer that I had with somebody
- a divine appointment that pointed a person to Jesus.
People around me began to feel more comfortable doing evangelism.
Within a few months, people around me were telling me their own stories of conversations.
They were elders in my church. They were students in the youth ministry I was leading. They were members of my small group.
That’s where I learned to love evangelism coaching.
I would naturally ask them to recall the spiritual conversation. I’d ask them to reflect on that encounter a little more through using questions.
I would ask them to think about how to do the conversation differently the next time a similar topic came about.
I do this debriefing an evangelism conversation in my own personal devotions as I reflect on my encounters.
Asking questions like these continues to sharpen the evangelism skills.
As long as my evangelistic temperature was hot, the people around me warmed up to evangelism.
15 Ways to Keep Stoking the Passion for Evangelism
How does one keep the evangelism passion hot?
Let me give you 15 right off the bat. It’s not a linear list and not exhaustive, but here goes:
- Keep your relationship with God strong.
- Read the Scriptures, meditate on them as your day goes on.
- Enjoy noticing God’s activity around you.
- Regularly tell others about God’s work in your life.
- Regularly engage in evangelistic conversations.
- Review them as part of your devotional life.
- Read evangelism books.
- Read and comment on evangelism blogs.
- Participate in the evangelism activity of your local church.
- Share your evangelism stories with others.
- Join an evangelism coaching group that meets regularly to review conversations.
- Worship deeply.
- Pray regularly.
- Notice the people around you and pray for them.
- Practice explaining the gospel clearly and simply.
Bonus: Celebrating Baptism (the ultimate outcome of personal evangelism), can also keep the passion for evangelism stoked.
Let me ask you this
What would you add to this list?
If you would like personalized help in personal evangelism over the next 60 days, I provide a telecoaching service of four phone calls over a 60 day period.
Read more about it here: Personal Coaching for Personal Evangelism