Here is a practical discussion starter to use in a church greeter training meeting.
The goal of the discussion starter is for your greeter team to think through ways they might respond to a person with such questions.
Every church wants their guests to return, and not be driven away by church greeters who say embarrassing things.
How your guests experience your greeters is one of the central influences in their decision to return to your church.
Yet depending on what study you read, up to 70% – 90% of those visitors don’t come back for a second visit.
Training your church greeters is one area that you can focus on to lower that number for your congregation and improve the rate at which visitors to return.
First: Watch this video
- What role can church greeters play to help this first time church visitor feel safe?
- What ways can you detect that such a person is a first time visitor?
- What are some specific ways your church can help this person return for a second visit?
Do you need more greeter training ideas?
The most important first step to improving your church greeter ministry, assuming you have greeters, is to have a vision casting meeting. Don’t call it a training, but a vision refresher. Those who don’t think they need training won’t show up. You gather all your greeters together and in this meeting you:
- Celebrate the visitors who are coming back.
- Share stories of people’s lives being changed
- How welcome ministries make that possible.
- Share some practical tips and skills to help your greeters grow.
Learn more about training greeters from the book: Church Greeters 101
Or, You can get the 2 DVD Combo Set of Greeter Training DVDs. 12% off the price if purchased separately