Warning: strpos(): Empty needle in /home/churchgr/public_html/www.evangelismcoach.org/wp-includes/media.php on line 1145
I attended a conference nearly 10 years ago by Mark Miller that gave away these secrets to Effective Evangelism Training.
- Challenge the conventional wisdom — Evangelism is a process not an event (see: Evangelism: Process or Event?), so one size doesn’t fit every context.
- Make Evangelism Personal — Who do you know that does not know Jesus Christ? They are people with names, stories, and hopes, and fears. Pray, Engage.
- Focus on Fundamentals — How to Build Relationships, How to Present the Gospel, and How to Invite People to Faith.
- Practice, Practice, and Practice — To build both skills and confidence. (How to Practice a Gospel Presentation)
- Create Multiple Training Opportunities — People will never learn from training they do not attend. A church could offer day long workshops, 4-6 week courses, self study, weekend retreats. One time is not sufficient. Offer multiple training events during the year.
- Pray — Don’t Forget that any evangelism work is preceded by prayer. Encourage workshop participants to pray for people they know. Take the time to do it.
- Model it — Make evangelism your own priority and follow your own steps.
I found in my own story that all of these are vitally important.
Three Core Concepts
Process. Seeing evangelism as a process rather than an event shifted my thinking towards seeing the sovereignty of God in bringing people to faith.
Practice, Practice, and Practice. After every encounter, I examine the conversation to see what I can learn from, what would I do differently, and how can I pray for that person. Practice doesn’t make perfect, but it does increase confidence in sharing my faith.
Model. I found that when I was preaching weekly, nearly every week I would have a fresh encounter story to share with the congregation about a conversation that I had with a person. I modeled evangelism conversations in my sermons, and one could tell it was such a part of my life. The congregation grew in its own confidence and ability to do personal evangelism.
Evangelism Training Home Study Course
The principle that I share in my training seminars are now on CD I’ve put together a 5 CD of my day long seminar that can help you grow a little more comfortable in sharing your faith.
Click on the banner to see how to get my personal evangelism training delivered to your door.