- Some sample questions.Here are some good questions that will help you move into a conversation about spiritual things. Be sure and listen carefully to their answers. And be prepared to share your own answers to these same questions as well.
- Questions about CHRIST:
- Who is/was Jesus Christ (i.e., his identity)? What do you think was significant about his life? What was he trying to accomplish (i.e., his purpose)?
- What do you think was significant about his death?
- A lot of people claim that Jesus rose from the dead and is alive today. What do you think?
- How do you see Christ fitting into Christianity? (Try to separate religion from relationship.)
- Jesus said a lot of interesting things like, I am the way and the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father but by me. What do you think he meant by these statements?
- Questions about HUMANKIND:
- What is humankind’s reason for being? What is your purpose in life?
- What do you think humankind’s basic problem is? Do you believe we are good or evil or both? What kind of solutions to this do you see?
- What kind of needs do you see in the people around you? What is your deepest need?
- Questions about CHRISTIANITY:
- How would you describe a real Christian? What exactly is it that makes one a Christian?
- What’s been your experience with Christianity? What’s your church background?
- What do you think it means to believe in Jesus?
- Questions about BELIEF IN GOD:
- Why do you (or don’t you) believe in God?
- When did God first become real to you?
- How has your view of God changed since coming to college?
- What do you think God is like and where are those ideas from? Is he concerned about us? What do you think God expects of us?
- Questions about their VIEW OF THE WORLD:
- Many people say that if there is no afterlife, then life is meaningless. What do you think of life after death? How about the idea of heaven and hell? How would we get into heaven?
- What is your basis for ethics? What absolute truths are there?
- Why is there evil in the world?
- What do you think sin is? (Or, how would you define sin?)
- Would you be interested in getting together to discuss what the Bible says about the issues we’ve been talking about?
Source: Communication Skills for Evangelism – Evangelism – InterVarsity.org. Original article has moved.
The point of questions is not a have a litmus test, but to create and continue conversation. These questions can help that process.
Download Evangelistic Questions Conversation Starter
Print out this list of questions to use for your devotional time to reflect on your own faith.
You are free to share, bookmark, repost, or email this list as you see fit.